Sunday, August 31, 2008

Zucchini chowder

Mom gave me an oversized zucchini since she had an overabundance of them (how could she miss so many??). I was hoping Mr. Fix-it would make stuffed zucchini, but after waiting a week, I figured I should do something with it.

This was an easy soup; I just used what I had on hand. I diced up the zucchini, along with some onion, carrot, and celery, and tomato. I sauteed the onion w/some olive oil, then added the rest of the veggies and enough water to cover. It turns out I didn't have any chicken stock in the freezer or pantry, but I did have a chicken breast in the freezer, so I chopped that up too and added it to the soup. The only seasonings were the usual salt, pepper, and garlic. Oh, and some chervil.
I was going to add some pasta or frozen corn, but didn't have any corn and I couldn't fit the pasta in the pot, lol. The soup turned out better than expected, I think because the tomatoes were so flavorful. This soup is a great way to use up those leftover veggies in your fridge. I think you could add almost anything to it.

No comments: